Thursday, July 3, 2008

The White Tower Speaks: Collision Detection Part I

Collision detection, yes please. To me, one of WAR's main selling points. Collision detection is awesome, it creates a more tactical game where positioning is key, adding a new layer of depth and strategy to game play. Not only this, but it creates a less cluttered game space because people can't pile on top of each other so it becomes near impossible to target them (talk about frustrating).

Collision detection allows you to clog a choke point, and hold off, and perhaps even help you defeat, a larger enemy force. Not only this, but you can keep your healers, support, and ranged DPS out of harm's reach! So why don't all games have collision detection?

Unfortunately, collision detection is difficult to properly implement because of the potential for same-side griefing. Yeah, those jerks who block off the bank or auction house all day just to be douches, ruin an otherwise fantastic feature.

So the question becomes, how do we implement collision detection, but limit the players' ability to grief his own faction?

WAR has one answer, turn collision detection on only against enemies.

I have to admit, when I hard WAR was only going to feature enemy collision detection, I was a little disappointed. I already hear you clamoring, "WAR BASHING? Not on my watch!". Just hear me out.

I think the greatest thing about (full) collision detection is that it allows a smaller force in the right position (say a hallway, or a bridge), to engage larger forces on more equal terms. Tight spaces don't allow your enemies' numbers to work for him.

So what is this really? A zerg counter. Numbers don't matter quite so much when they can only bring a few of them to bear. Eventually, they will probably overwhelm your position. Your tanks will run out of hit points and your healers will run out of mana (or should I say action points!). Hopefully, however, you've managed to take out a few of the enemy and slow their advance without losing too many of your own.

Enemy only collision detection negates this strategic advantage altogether. It doesn't matter if there's only room for four people in the hallway if 1,000 people can stack on top of them, and their archers and spell casters can fling their full arsenal at you despite their teammates being in the way (a separate gripe for another day).

Stay tuned for Part II, coming later, for other ideas on Collision Detection Implementation.

Thanks,
Stormcrow

6 comments:

Matt Graham said...

Chrono Chaos: find me!

Werit said...

Matt: gotcha!

Werit said...

Their collision detection is interesting. I think you are right about it negating any advantage the smaller numbered side may have. Full collision detection may just not be 'fun' though, even if realistic.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try it. I do think it might be frustrating at times. I hope people don't camp in doorways just to get a chuckle. It will be more difficult to get around people on horses or huge siege equipment

Anonymous said...

I had thought that collision detection was universal and that it was short-lived...that you could slowly "push through" someone, which would still be useful but could account for griefing. I seem to recall this was the reasoning behind all tanks having knockback?

Does anybody else remember this, or am I crazy?

Unknown said...

gamesdevelopmentcompanies