Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Order vs. Overpowered Demi-Gods of Untouchable Awesome (Destruction)

Heh, sorry for the inflammatory title... made ya look! I've talked to a lot of people, asking them their opinions on the Order vs. Chaos match-up. A year ago, when I introduced my roommates to the game, the first thing I did was show them the Cinematic Trailer.

The comments were as follows:

"Wow, that retarded orc that slammed into the wall at the beginning? Totally you, James."
*retarded grin* "Yup, or the guy firing the retarded one into the wall, cause I'm wily like that."

Greenskin vs. Dwarf:
"Wow, never seen a Dwarf like that, he's kinda cool. Think I might play that."
"He's not in the game, they scrapped him."
"Lameyndor (a hybrid of the words Lame and Gryffindor. Before you ask: I have no idea.)

Dark Elf vs. High Elf Fight:
"Is that hottie dual wielding? Oh my God, did she just deflect magic with her swords? Class found."

At the Chaos Chosen Entrance:
"Dear God, what is that thing?"
"That can't be human..."
"I'm changing my class from dual wielding hottie to whatever that hulking piece of awesome is...."
"That priest is about to get rocked."
"Dude, you always think evil's going to win."
"Yeah, cause they do."

At the Chaos Chosen getting his first hits in:
"Told you, that priest is screwed."
"Not over yet, that guy's weapon is on FIYAHHH!"

At the glowing eyes and burning weapon:
"Nice!"
"Oh Schnap."
"What now negative Nancy? What now?
"He's still going to lose... if he doesn't that's such a copout."
"Dude, that priest is totally you."

I, of course, had already seen the trailer. I laughed and said, "More than you know."

At this point the Chosen knees the Warrior-Priest in the gut, and pounds his face in:
"Wow, I totally meant that when I thought you were going to win..."
"Didn't see that one coming..."
"Called that shit..."
"Really... who isn't going to play that?"

*sheepish grin*

"Wow, you totally want us to play Order don't you."
"Um well, that'd be cool..."
"No, not cool, man."
"Don't play with my emotions like that... really. Behemoth of Ungodly Amazing, or guy with broken face, hmm..."
"Party foul, for real."

All humor aside, these guys are Gamer and MMO veterans (most of them hardcore power-gamers), and even they were swayed by the undeniable awesomeness factor of Destruction, and I'm sure many more will be as well.

Games Workshop and by extension Mythic has gone out of their way to say, "Order is in dire straights. Chaos' victory is inevitable."

But, in a way there's also some massive underdog appeal from the side of Order, very reminiscent of Lord of the Rings, Zulu, or 300. Just from a lore perspective, it's cool to think that even though you're outnumbered, surrounded on all sides, you won't give up. I'm reminded of this quote from 300 (forgive the cheesiness):

"The world will know that free men stood against a tyrant, that few stood against many, and before this battle was over, even a god-king can bleed."

I know a lot of people watch that Trailer and say, "Wow, that's OP. No duh, everyone's going to be Destruction." But I look at it like this, "Wow, now I've got something worth fighting for."

Stormcrow

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I totally agree with you.